Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Melissa Noll Bailey

Melissa Noll Bailey


The theme for Week 4's 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, was closest to your birthday.  The relative closest to my birthday is my grandmother, who is living, I decided not to tell her story on here for that reason. The next closest to my birthday ancestor is my Great Great Grandmother Melissa Noll Bailey. 

Melissa was the daughter of John George Noll and Mary McCleery (daughter and sister of the aforementioned Julia Claspil McCleery and Melissa McCleery Richards, respectively). She was one of at least 17 children (19 by some accounts, though I have not been able to find record of the other 2 children). She lived from 1887-1971, I always found that so interesting because she was born at the tail end of the Victorian age, and lived to see so many changes in the world, the change over from horses to automobiles, the vote for women, the civil rights movement, the moon landing. I wonder if my great great grandchildren will think the same of me as I was born in 1981. Anyway.... Melissa married William Bailey and had 4 sons and 1 daughter, Beatrice, from whom I descend. All 4 of Melissa's sons served in WWII and by the grace of God they all came home!

Since I have access to someone who actually knew Melissa, (my grandmother was her granddaughter after all) I thought I'd let her tell a little about what she remembered about her grandmother. In family history you know a lot of the facts, but can't always know about personality or interests. I am so excited that my grandma shared this story of her grandma's LOVE for the Detroit Tigers!

With Grandma Bailey living in Detroit when I was growing up, I didn't get to spend as much time with her as the grandkids that lived close by, but I do have some fond memories of the times I did spend with her.  When I was only seven years old, my parents put me on a train in Huntington, and I traveled alone to Detroit to spend a few weeks with my grandparents.  Even though I was very young, I remember vividly watching my grandmother intently listening to the Detroit Tigers play baseball.  While listening, she would write down in great detail, each players times at bat and the stats for each pitcher who was in a particular game.  She had stacks of notebooks containing stats that spanned many years of following her beloved Tigers.  My Grandmother was very quiet, very loving, and always made me feel special in her gentle ways.  I made the train trip to Detroit more than once and remember that one time, when I returned home, I cried many nights because I missed my grandparents and the time I had just had with them.  I only visited them once after they moved to Florida.  That was when I was a junior in high school.  I do remember that I was cutting wisdom teeth at the time and was pretty miserable during the three weeks that we were there.

and Now Pictures! 
I love this little note in the paper following Melissa's birth. 


I love how detailed wedding announcements were back in the day!


Melissa on her Wedding Day, 1906

Her Obituary, June of 1971