Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Francis Bailey

Francis Bailey




I don't know too much more about Francis Bailey other than that he served in the Civil War in the 152nd Indiana Infantry Co. H.  This company was organized toward the end of the war mustering in March 1865 and mustering out August 1865. I don't know anything of particular note about his service thus far in my research. 

The next piece of information I have is the article that told of Francis Bailey's very horrible death. 

** Viewer Discretion Advised**

Fort Wayne Daily Gazette, July 29, 1869, pg 4

For me, when I found this article, it was one of those moments when I have had an unexpected, visceral, and emotional reaction to a family history discovery. The details of Francis' death were so horrific and must have been so devastating to his family that this article stayed with me for days afterwards. I couldn't stop thinking about what a horrible realization this would have been for Josephine.  

Fort Wayne Daily Gazette, July 30, 1869, pg. 4


In an incredible twist of fate, his son, my 3rd great grandfather, August Bailey was also killed by a train, although the circumstances of that tragedy were very different and that is a story for another day. 







No comments:

Post a Comment